Fall 2017 Racing Team
***REGISTRATION NOW OPEN***
CLICK HERE to visit the WBC page on RegattaCentral then
click on “Memberships” to open a list of our current programs
The fall season at WBC is a chance for all students ages 12-18 whose schools do not offer a rowing team to train and race with other athletes from around the region. The 2017 season starts Tuesday, September 5th and continues ten weeks, ending Monday, November 13th. We have coaches for both experienced and novice rowers which allows everyone the chance to participate and race no matter their experience level.
If Spring is “track”, Fall crew is the “cross country” of rowing. The competition is just as intense, but with longer race distances the focus tends to the technique side of the sport. As a rower you will finish the fall with a fantastic aerobic base & will be ready to tackle the winter season head on. As a coxswain you will come out of the fall season with more knowledge of the rowing stroke, & a much better understanding of the intricacies of proper steering, both of which will make you more valuable to any boat in the spring.
For Fall 2017, high school rowers with NO EXPERIENCE are welcome! You will be taught all the basics of rowing and be competing by the end of the season against other new rowers in races around the region.
Rowers participating in this program will be expected to:
- Attend practices five days per week, with any absences excused in advance (and kept to a minimum). Practices will be Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday/Friday, 4:00-6:15p (drop off no earlier than 3:45p, pick up by 6:30p) and Saturday, 8:45-11:30a (drop off no earlier than 8:30a, pick up by 11:45a).
- Be open to training & competing in either sweep or sculling boats.
- Commit to competing in five regattas:
- King’s Head– Bridgeport, PA, Sunday, September 24th
- Head of the Christina– Wilmington, DE, Sunday, October 1st
- Navy Day Regatta– Philadelphia, PA, Saturday, October 14th
- Head of the Schuylkill– Philadelphia, PA, Saturday/Sunday, October 28-29th
- Braxton Memorial Regatta– Mercer County Park, NJ, Sunday, November 12th
- Upon the recommendation of the head coach and approval of WBC, selected participants may have the opportunity to attend Head of the Charles in Boston, MA (October 21-22). Entry fees, travel and trailer expenses for this regatta will be paid by the participating rowers.
HEAD COACH for the 2017 Competitive Junior Fall Program is Joe Sullivan.
The fee for this program is $1,425* when paid by check & $1,486 when paid by credit card/PayPal (this includes the $50 yearly facilities fee for HRC – anyone who participated in a program in 2017 at the Hines Rowing Center will have already paid the Facilities Fee); the program fee includes regatta & trailering costs associated with the 4 main regattas. Head of the Charles in Boston is a trip that will include multiple nights at a hotel and, therefore, will be assessed separately. Any athlete who has rowed out of HRC in 2017* has paid the $50 yearly fee & should pay $1,375 by check.
*Programs that have paid the 2017 HRC Fee include- Archbishop Carroll Crew, Germantown Academy Rowing, Radnor Girls Crew, Lower Merion Rowing, Mount St Joseph Rowing, Gordon Rowing Services, & all Whitemarsh Boat Club programs (including 2017 Learn to Row Camps).
Practice is RAIN OR SHINE at the Hines Rowing Center. CLICK HERE for directions and information about parking. Space is very limited; carpools are highly encouraged! NEW AS OF 2015– For parents who choose to stay for practice we are asking you to move your vehicle to one of our satellite lots in order to leave room for club members & those juniors who drive themselves. While our enrollment has continued to grow, our parking lot, unfortunately, has remained the same size. We thank you in advance for your cooperation in this matter.
Questions or concerns? PLEASE don’t hesitate to contact our Program Coordinator, Taya DiAngelofirstname.lastname@example.org